lunes, 19 de agosto de 2013

The Somerset House and some churches.

Some days ago I was walking around the Thames and I discovered The Somerset House. One of my friends talked me about it some time ago but I have never found the moment to get into before so that day I decided to get into and have a look.

The Somerset House is a spectacular neo-classical building in the heart of London, sitting between the Strand and the River Thames.


Somerset House.

Embankment Galleries East, South Wing.

The first exhibition I discovered as soon as I got into the house is I only want you to Love me from Miles Aldridge. 


Miles Aldridge is a British fashion photographer and artist. His father, Alan Aldridge, exerted a big influence on him. 

This exhibition is the major retrospective of photographer Miles Aldridge's work, to coincide with the publication of the book by the same name, published by Rizzoli. This is the largest exhibition of his work to date and includes large-scale photographic prints from throughout his career including previously unpublished material as well as hand-drawn storyboards, drawings, Polaroids and magazines, offering an intimate insight into Aldridge’s point of view and process.
Women and colour are Aldridge’s twin obsessions and you can discover all together inside the Somerset house. 

It is difficult to chose one image, but my favorites ones are Beige#4, 2010, which reminds me the films by Alfred Hitchcock with Grace Kelly and Immaculée #3, 2007, Life a painting #1, 2005, Serie #1; 2007 which are in a small and half-light room and made me think of the Italian madonna from the Renaissance.



I only want you to love me by Miles Aldridge.

Until 29th September. 

When I went out the exhibition it was raining heavily so I decided have a walk inside the gallery. Inside I discovered an incredible exhibition by Nicholas Hawksmoor: Methodical Imaginings.



Terrace in Somerset House.

This exhibition focuses on a series of important London churches by the architect Nicholas Hawksmoor (c.1661–1736) from the early part of the eighteenth century. Although Hawksmoor is recognized as one of the major contributors to the traditions of British and European architectural culture, there is insufficient visual documentation and analysis of his work. This exhibition curated by Mohsen Mostafavi, Dean of Harvard University Graduate School of Design, and featuring the work of architectural photographer Hélène Binet, reconsiders Hawksmoor’s architecture in relation to urbanism.

15 May - 1 September, 2013.

Terrace Rooms, South Wing.
To highlight Hawksmoor’s scalar approach, Hélène Binet was specially commissioned to document the seven remaining London churches. These immaculate black and white large format photographs demonstrate the beauty of Hawksmoor’s architecture with special attention to the variety of scales, sites, interiors, textures and materials. Digitally conceived and fabricated resin models celebrate the connections between Hawksmoor’s structures and the city of London.


Nicholas Hawksmoor: Methodical Imaginings.

Some samples of the resin models you can find in the exhibition.

Hawksmoor London churches map.


I like churches, regardless of the religion, I enjoy visiting churches and discovering treasures inside them. Thats why I enjoy a lot this exhibition. The pictures I share here it is not from the exhibition, it is only one of my favorite church in London. I discovered some years ago. 




St. Mary´s Church
Wyndham Place
York Street, London W1H 1PQ

Before leaving The Somerset house I visited one more exhibition, Blumenfeld Studio, New York 1941 - 1960. 

Erwin Blumenfeld (1897–1969), was a German photographer. He was born in Berlin  and was one of the most internationally sought-after portrait and fashion photographers in the 1940s and 1950s. America’s leading magazines, including Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar hired him for his imaginative and highly individual shots. The show focuses on the little-known history of his photography studio at 222 Central Park South in New York. Around 100 colour photographs and originals of Erwin Blumenfeld’s works in fashion magazines provide insights into this key artistic phase in his life.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario